Cuthbert built a flour mill along the banks of Sturgeon Creek, now known as "Grant's Old Mill".
Tour this working replica of the flour mill (1829) operated by Cuthbert Grant
The watermill known as Grant's Old Mil occupies the site of the Red River
open every year - May 1 - September 5
Grant's Old Mill
this working replica of the flour mill (1829) operated by Cuthbert
Grant. Organic grain grown locally, freshly ground triticale, rye, whole
wheat, buckwheat flour and pancake mix, as well as other souvenirs, are
sold on site.
Open May to Labour Day, or by appointment. Group tours are available.
Open daily from 10:00 am - 6:00pm - seven days a week
SUNDAY IS FLAP JACK SUNDAYS - 10:30-2PM Free flap jacks are served....by donations
Admission by donation.
Only first floor is wheelchair accessible. Tel. 204-986-5613 (summer) or 253-4904.
Location: 2777 Portage Avenue..
The watermill known as Grant's Old Mil occupies the site of the Red River Settlement's first mill built in 1829. grants old mill
was established by Cuthbert Grant who was the leader of the Metis at
the Battle of Seven Oaks. Grant's Old Mill is on a tributary of the
Assiniboine River and is the final incarnation of multiple previous
mills that were washed away by frequent floods.
The mill is open
to the public and provides a glimpse of a real working water powered
mill. Samples of stone ground wheat can be tasted. The staff is friendly
and knowledgeable and the area surrounding Grant's Old Mill is perfect
for picnics or just laying out in the sun. Located directly behind
Grant's Old Mill is the Grace Hospital.